Thursday, August 28, 2014

School Starts, Meal Planning, and Controlling the Toy Chaos

I've always seen the start of the new school year as a time to start fresh, especially with organization.  As my little ones go from babies to children with preschool, lunchboxes and activities (not too many), life just keeps getting busier.    This year, not only am I trying to plan meals in advance, I'm also trying to keep the toy chaos under control.

So, let's start with the meal planning.  I'll confess, it is something that I have done in spurts, but it is something that I need to do regularly.  Okay, not even regularly.  All. The. Time.  I mean, really, maybe lots of people are good at figuring out and prepping dinner after work + 5 year old soccer practice when everyone is tired, hungry, cranky, and at least 2 people in the house need immediate baths. I am not.  Since I'm thinking that having pizza or spaghetti every night isn't the solution, I've got to plan, and many times, prep, ahead.  Enter the printable menu template.  I created it to help myself get and stay organized in everyday life, and I shared it over on This Mommy Cooks Dinner.  I've found that planning ahead helps organize, and streamline, my days a lot.  I'm all about systems that can be maintained, so here is to keeping it up. 

Now, can we talk toys?  There are days that I feel like a Lego Factory exploded inside my house.  If you've ever stepped on one in the middle of the night, you know just how evil the rogue hidden Lego can be.  To keep toys handy, where tiny hands can reach them (read that as, put them away themselves), I repurposed space in a hall closet and a set of plastic drawers.  Each drawer now has its own category of toy, so the children can understand the system and help keep it up, and the toys get put away.....most of the time. 

Stay tuned for "Streamlining Your Weekday Mornings," and "The One Week Move."

In the meantime, do you reorganize at the beginning of the school year?  If so, what do you reorganize?

No comments:

Post a Comment